Walking Holidays Discoverer
Discoverer - Guided Mountain Walking5-8 hour day length, 500-1000m ascending, our most popular trip level. Please click the links below for full itineraries of our Discoverer level guided holidays or read on for a full description of this level of walking holiday.
- Lakes, Cirques & Summits The best day walks taking in the highlights of the Hautes Pryenees
- Spanish Pyrenees The former Kingdom of Aragon; Canyons, medieval towns and Aragonese culture.
- Neouvielle; The Pyrenees Lake District Mini-Trek The magical and remote lake land of the French Pyrenees.
- Cirque de Gavarnie & Ordesa Canyon Mini-Trek Giant cirques, tall waterfalls and a high mountain traverse into the canyons of Spain.
Who is this for?Our Discoverer mountain walking holidays are for keen walkers looking to expand their European walking and discover the most beautiful walking routes of the Pyrenees. You need to be comfortable walking 5-8 hours a day, with some significant ascents and descents in mountainous terrain. This is our most popular level of mountain walking holiday, as it has great variety and is challenging but not overly strenuous. We offer week-long walking holidays, and some of the walks are available as day trips, subject to availability.
What do we do and see?Explore the high Pyrenean mountain lakes, ridges, dramatic cirques, hidden valleys and towering peaks. Hike from pretty villages to remote refuges, discovering the unique local flowers, animals, history and culture along the way.
What fitness level do I need?You need to be able to walk for up to 8 hours a day with ascents of 500-800m, occasionally 1000m on some of the longer walks. Ideally you should have some previous upland walking experience on a range of terrain. Although we generally stick to paths, some sections may be grassy, rocky or rough underfoot.
Who leads these walks?All of our Pyrenees guided mountain walking holidays are led by qualified International Mountain Leaders. They will make sure you get the most out of your walking holiday, passing on their extensive local knowledge. Routes are specially chosen to suit the particular interests and abilities of the group. We currently offer the following types of Discoverer guided mountain walks:
- Lakes, Cirques & Summits - High French Pyrenees - based from the traditional French mountain village of Barèges
- Spanish Pyrenees - Monte Perdido, Ordesa & Sierra de Guara Canyons
- Neouvielle Lake District - A tour of the Neouvielle Nature Reserve - based from Barèges, and including two nights in mountain refuges
- Gavarnie & Ordesa - Highlights of the French and Spanish Pyrenees - based from Barèges, and including two nights in mountain refuges
Please click on an image below to view the gallery